Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Last Gerund

I wish I were an adjective, describing the rain
Always part of something else, and never said in vain

I wish I were an adverb, often ending with ell-why,
Always relegating how the rain falls from the sky

Although a noun is pretty fixed and at the mercy of description,
At least it's omni-present and rarely cursed with affliction

Were I to be a verb I'd be always on-the-go
I could be fast or well-paced or interminably slow

Instead I am hanging, forgiving and haranguing
I'm running and jumping, flying, trying and meringuing.

I could be above, below or behind
But it's beneath me to be without, under or inside

I've accepted my position and it always makes me wince
To think I could have been a word like also, but, or since.


By tuesdaypillow used with the permission of the poet.
All rights reserved

file under;

No comments: