Friday, April 16, 2010

INCOMPRIS REVERIE

© Gloria Smith 2010

I parted with a dream yesterday. I decided to finally tell it good-bye. It broke my heart and yet it was necessary. I dreamt alone really. It suddenly occurred to me that this then was the true heartbreak, and not as I had originally supposed, the fact that I could not have my dream; could not dream it into reality but that I dreamed it alone. Aloneness was the worst part of it all and so I let it go. I cried. Yes, I cried and I died a little inside. I suppose that some part of me will always feel the desire, though I would drive it far from me and never think on it again if I only could. I cannot blind myself; cannot go deaf, and cannot stop feeling with my hands or my heart. That would be death, would it not? So, I died a little yesterday and will die a little each day without my dream, without... Look into my eyes. Do you see the pain that shall never leave them or do I hide it well beneath the glimmers of pretense, the shine of disguise; the light of life that shines though the candle's wick is burning low...

No comments: