Tuesday, January 24, 2006

SOME THINGS I BELIEVE IN...

Some things I Believe In

I
Like
To go
Around
Believing
In things.
Maybe I’m just
A foolish dreamer,
Maybe I’m just a little
Deranged, or perhaps it’s
This Restless romantic in me.

I
Believe
That the green
Of leaves here, turn
Orange in the fall out
Of fatigue. I believe the
Sound petering from Coltrane’s

Horn
Can heal
Most anyone’s
Failing rhythms. I believe

You
Can *feel*
Chord changes on
Your skin, like a baby’s breath,
Or a sudden shift in wind. But the wind
Is music, you see? I believe the rhythm of
My heartbeat is made by a playfully insistent
God.

And
I believe,
Just a little,
In all of your Gods
And even more in the passion
With which people praise them.

I
Believe
The boundlessness
Of God to be inherent in
The sound of laughter, especially
When it’s free. I believe that
Laughing creates a melody that makes
Its own rapturous music. I believe that
My breath makes sparks when I’m singing.

I
Believe
In what
Nietzche said,
That without music,
Life would be a profound mistake.

I
Believe
Spirits and deities
Travel with me and
Quake and gather around me
At night like flocks of feeding birds.

I
Believe
The power
Of my words
And deeds can move
Across the terrain of souls
Of beings I’ll never know.

I
Believe
That to read
A poem is to weave
Your own way into infinite
Realities, and in the mirror of
Words, discover your own affinity.

I
Believe
Every human
Being sings its own
Solo, and every heart is
A drum that sounds in an
Echo forever, forever and
Ever in the Universe.

I
Believe
In this as much
As in my own
Manifestoes. I believe
Religiously in collecting
And keeping and giving back.
I believe less in fables, and more
In the stories of my actions. I believe
For each of my beautiful mistakes, for
Each of my most gorgeous of failures, there
Lies within, a d e e p e r l e s s o n.

And
I believe
Even harder in
The sweetness of
Aspirations. I believe in
The strength and willfulness
To succeed, even in the ignored
And weakened spines of Black men like me.

I
Believe in
Shimmering warriors
Wet with sweat. I believe
In Kingdoms, in Karma , and distance.

You
See I'm
A believer in
Things. Maybe I'm
Romantic, maybe just
Deranged. I believe in
Questions and answers which
Fall or tumble slowly like autumn
Leaves tumble, on the softest winds of change.

By Bluemoaner
Used here with the permission of the poet.
All rights reserved

file under;
, ,

No comments: